Winter Woods Sky Christmas 5x7 folded card
Make a statement with custom Christmas cards at Shutterfly.
View the entire collection of cards.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Texas BBQ






One of the "benefits" of moving to Texas is the BBQ. Now BBQ in Utah usually means putting some KRAFT BBQ suace on the chicken breast you cooked on the grill. Down south BBQ takes on a whole different meaning.

Texas Monthly publishes their top 50 BBQ spots once a year and last week, the list came out. Number one on the list was a small place (4,000 pop) in Lexington, TX called Snow's BBQ. They are only open on Saturday so you have to get there early. We left at 9 in the morning and drove 75 minutes to Lexington from College Station. The line was already out the door at 10:30 in the morning. We waited 30 minutes in line and were next when the owner came up and said, "That's it, we're all sold out today." Our disappointment was high but there was nothing we could do.

Looking at the list of top BBQ places, we noticed that the Town of Taylor was only 30 minutes away. Louie Mueller's BBQ was number 5 on the list. We were hungry, had invested 2 hours of our time and decided another 30 minutes would be worth it. We arrive in Taylor (pop 10,000) and found this old, run down store front with a line coming out the door. We pulled in, waited 30 minutes and we're rewarded with some of the best tasting BBQ I'd ever eaten in my life.

The photos tell the story. Pay attention to the "Man Plate" that had 1/2 lbs brisket, 1 regular sausage, 1 chipolte sausage, slice of cheese and two pieces of bread.

5 comments:

marathonmom said...

Shane
I'm sorry but that meal does not look very appetizing. I guess that is why it is called a man plate. You'll have to take us to a barbecue joint when we get there. But I don't think I want to drive 2 hours to go to that one.

Lisa said...

I agree with Amy, the plate doesn't look so good. I'll have a woman's plate when I come visit (he he)

Texasute said...

I agree with both of you...I wouldn't expect the ladies to find this too appealing. BBQ is mostly a guy thing in my mind. Kind of like Paradise Bakery is a girl thing.

The Dahls said...

I think Garrit would love it in texas, he's a big BBQ person. We sure miss you guys. Garrit and I went to CA last week and Garrit had to come home on Monday after work and mow the lawn. He wishes Connor was still around!

Rachel said...

Okay, so are you still waiting in line or what...we haven't heard from you in awhile. Or maybe it's 'cause you are a little busier with a wife and kids in town...gone are the bachelor days:> Emi is waiting for a post on the scorpion in the sink story!